i took a little hiatus from quinoa for a while, but then i missed it. so, i decided to make a quinoa salad this week. simple, basic, under an hour. sometimes it’s tricky because you have to let the quinoa cool before adding it to the salad or it will cause everything to wilt. although, often times i get impatient and ignore that rule.
today’s recipe was inspired by a dear friend who loves her butternut squash. she even did the cubing for me! the idea came on a soul walk about what recipes she was loving these days… and this is what transpired!
roasted butternut squash kale and quinoa salad with dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds
doesn’t that just scream winter to you? i feel cozy just saying it. i also am obsessing over the color combo.
first up, roast the butternut squash in the oven at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. next, start the quinoa by combining 1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water. then de-stem the kale and chop finely.
once the quinoa is done, place it in the fridge to cool.
the dressing is a sweet tahini. since i included dried fruit in the salad, i wanted to tie in a somewhat sweet dressing. i combined tahini, apple cider vinegar, honey, lemon, garlic powder, water, and salt/pepper. it did the trick!
toss everything together in a bowl and add the dried cranberries and pumpkin seeds. originally, i thought i would do walnuts, but i was out, so i did the pumpkin seeds instead. you can really include any nut or seed your heart desires.
and here we have the finished product dowsed in tahini. you could even add avocado if your heart desires!
this is the perfect dinner that you can then take with you for lunch the next day. a little goes a long way! and, it leaves you feeling full and nourished. it’s packed with protein, fiber, vitamin a, and magnesium + omega-3’s from the pumpkin seeds.
- 1 bunch dino kale
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seed (or other nut/seed of choice)
- preheat oven to 350 degrees
- peel butternut squash and cube. place on roasting pan with parchment paper and spray with coconut oil.
- measure 1 cup quinoa and 2 cups water in pot and bring to a boil. once boiling, let simmer. when finished, place in fridge.
- de-stem and chop kale
- make dressing in vitamix or blender using: 1/4 cup tahini, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon honey, 1 small lemon, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 cup water, and salt/pepper to taste. blend until mixed into a smooth dressing.
- combine all 5 salad ingredients in bowl and toss together. top with dressing as desired.